Posts Tagged ‘online newspaper’
Online Newspaper, A Deforestation Fighter.
What is more pleasing than having a cup of coffee in your right hand and and newspapers in your left hand in the morning ? News addict seems to have silently changed our way of living. We turn on our TV or grab our newspapers once we get up in the morning before we even yearn for our morning coffee or breakfast. Some people don’t really feel having breakfast without egg, or some without bacon, or without bread, but most of us don’t really feel having breakfast without reading newspapers. We read newspapers while having breakfast; not the opposite. Silently, the call for hunting news has become as strong as hunting food. People are chasing news like it was the main need for survival The newspapers industry has then incredibly developed, and sadly, causing millions of acres of forest are cut each year for the newsprint. The last remaining old-growth forests in northern Canada, Brazil, Chile, Indonesia, Siberia, and other areas are now being logged for pulp wood as well as plantation. In US, an estimated 5 million acres of forests in the southeastern, the world’s largest pulp producing region. are logged for paper each year, while once the country (an area the size of New Jersey).
Americans throw away the equivalent of more than 30 million trees in newsprint each year
In 2006, US newspaper consumed 9.6 million tons of newsprint, although 35 percent of the paper contained recycled wood fiber, the remaining 65 percent (6.2 million tons ) is sourced from ecologically important forest in the US and Canada..
Production of newsprint derives rampant deforestation. Such deforestation is surely one of the major grounds of global warming that enchance the climate change while also endanger the subsistence forest habitants, covering many key species like birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians, fish and insects.
New research in carbon accounting is showing that annually the paper industry, when accounting for forest carbon loss, emits nearly 750 million tons of C02 equivalent – almost 10% of total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions. This is equivalent to the annual emissions of over 136 million cars ! In addition to that, the paper industry also contributes extensive environmental damage due to the chemical use. Paper manufacturing is the 3rd largest user of fossil fuels worldwide and is the fourth highest emitter of greenhouse gas emissions in the US.
According to Environemnet Canada,it requires 324 liters of water to produce 1 Kg. of paper. Average per capita paper use in the USA is 333 Kg. Although 45% of paper is recycled, the need of water in paper industry still huge, which may effect the water crisis worsens.
What you can do.
Every year in the United States, over 2 billion books
are published, 359 million magazines are published
24 billion newspaper are published
Source: Purdue Research Foundation and US Environmental Protection
Unsubscribe your printed newspapers, and change to online newspapers! Online newspapers are 100 % wood free, so it will make a tough deforestation fighter ! Just imagine, according to North Carolina Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling, printing a Sunday Edition of the New York Times takes 75,000 trees, so how many trees are cut for 24 billion newspaper in US ?
Take your role in fighting the rampant deforesation by :
Changing your habit of reading conventional ( printed ) newspapers to online newspapers. Reading a year’s worth of newspapers on your computer saves 520 pounds of paper, or about three trees per year.
- Recycling newspaper / recycling any kind papers. You can save lot of trees and protect our earth from unnecessary pollution and emission by recycling your newspapers.
Doing the above steps not only will save our environment from further destroy, but also save your money - by just clicking your finger, you can access many free online newspapers. There are lots of local and international online newspapers on your finger tip without extra cost, and guess what, reading online newspapers needs only one hand instead of 2 hands with conventional newspapers. So you can sip your coffee while having unlimited daily news !
Read only online newspaper. Whether it from computer or your e-reader.
Do what you want, read it, e-mail it, copy it, share it, book mark it, and say good bye to the old version of newspaper, the printed newspaper or any printed edition ! .
Here is one easy way to do so :