Posts Tagged ‘Climate Change’
Brief Description of Global Warming.
Global warming is the increase of average temperature in the Earth, as result of greenhouse gas (GHG) effect.
How greenhouse effect occurs:
About 30 percent of the sunlight that beams toward Earth is deflected by the outer atmosphere and scattered back into space. When the rest, 70% - alights on the Earth’s surface, some is absorbed and warms the Earth and some is radiated back to the atmosphere as slow-moving energy called infrared radiation.
Some of this infrared radiation are absorbed by greenhouse gases and trapped in the atmosphere before they escape to space. This greenhouse gases act like a mirror: some of the heat radiation which would otherwise exits to space is reflected back to the Earth. The reflecting back of heat radiation from the atmosphere is called the “greenhouse effect”. The thicker the greenhouse gases the more heat radiation is reflected to the Earth.
How greenhouse gases occur:
Greenhouse gases are gases exist in the Earth’s atmosphere. Some of those greenhouse gases occur naturally, such as water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone. Others such as hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) and CFCs are solely generated from human industrial processes which also destroy the ozone layer. Green house gases can stay in the atmosphere for an amount of years ranging from decades to hundreds and thousands of years.
Greenhouse gases role on the global warming:
Greenhouse gases that occur naturally are needed to create the greenhouse effect that keeps the Earth in proper warmth to support life, but human activities, especially in the last 50 years, have been tossing massive greenhouse gas emission to the atmosphere, that they are excessively accumulated in the atmosphere. This cause extra heat that leads to global warming. There are still debates among the scientists on this global warming phenomenon, but IPCC’s scientists declare with near certainty (more than 90 percent confidence) that carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases arising from human activities are the main cause behind the global warming since 1950.
Human activities that contribute huge emission :
Ever since the above global warming phenomena raised, studies on emission generation has been widely established in large scope, and human activities that mostly generated emissions are verified to be :
Daily activities that cause fossil fuel combustion :
According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), since the industrial revolution began in 1750, carbon dioxide levels have increased 35 percent and methane levels have increased 148 percent
As trees absorb carbon dioxide and converse it to oxygen, then they help lessening the greenhouse gas. Deforestation are commonly done for means of harvesting timber and land clearing for agriculture. Some farming practices and land-use changes increase the levels of methane and nitrous oxide. During the last 150 years, the level of atmospheric methane has risen by 151 percent, mostly from agricultural activities such as raising cattle and growing rice.
Population growth :
Another factor that boosts up the greenhouse gases is population growth, because the more people use fossil fuels the level of greenhouse gases continues to raise. The more land farming made to feed millions of new people, the more deforestation is done that causes the higher greenhouse gases tossed to the atmosphere.
You might also be interested to learn how to fight the global warming.