What You Can Protect by Using Reusable Bags.
You might not really aware how a reusable bag protects our planet from a frightening amount of waste – a toxic kind. This article might help you consider using reusable bag instead.
Although reusable bags are becoming more popular today, there is still a grim fact about the plastic waste. According to a research, an average family uses about 60 plastic bags in every four visit to the grocery store. No wonder about 1 million plastic bags are used every minute worldwide, causing huge debris that heavily pollutes our Earth. Here are some more shocking facts about the waste :
- Globally, about 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are used annually.
- A single plastic bag might need to 1,000 years to degrade, and it remains toxic even after breaks down.
- Fossil plastics represent 12% of the landfill space ( EPA Study on 2006 ).
- The U.S. consumes 100 billion single-use plastic bags, which costs about $4 billion a year.
- In 2008, Plastic bags are the second-most common type of ocean junk, after cigarette butts.
- About 46,000 pieces of plastic debris floats on every square mile of ocean!
- Plastic bags are among the top two items of debris found most often in coastal cleanups. (Ocean Conservancy)
- More than 3.5 million tons of plastic bags, sacks and wraps were discarded in 2008.
The toxin :
When plastics break down, they don’t biodegrade, but photodegrade, which means that they break down to smaller remains that readily soak up toxins. Those remains then contaminate soil, water, animal and human. Plastic bags have an extremely slow decomposition rate that make their toxic contamination endure in long period.
Up today various diseases and symptoms have been connected to this contamination, causing deaths of human and animals, mainly of marine animals.
The Algalita Marine Research Foundation says that plastic pieces attract and hold PCB and DDT up to one-million times background levels. As a result, floating plastic is like a poison pill
Benefits of Reusable Bag :
Using reusable bag can drastically minimize the plastic waste and its toxin. Reusable bags are usually made of eco friendly materials, so they are less-harming the environment. Just imagine, by simply turning to reusable bag you can take your action to protect the Earth from toxic pollution and contamination.