Shocking Facts About Waste
Every day - during our lifetime - we tossed out many items we don’t need : beer can, vegetable and fruits peels, coffee cup, tissues, papers, milk carton, food package, jam jar, soda bottles, and many more that none of us could remember. The longer we live the list become astonishing : refrigerator, wash machine, vacuum cleaners, car tires and even the car.
The U.S. is the # 1 trash-producing country.
Counting 5% of world’s population, it generates 40% of the world’s waste.
Here are some shocking facts about waste in the U.S. :
- In a lifetime, an average American will generate garbage 600 times of his/her adult weight
- An average baby generates a ton of garbage every year.
- One of every six trucks in the U.S. is a garbage truck.
- Americans throw more than 21 million shopping bags full of food to the landfills every year.
- 10% of rich countries’ greenhouse gas emissions come from growing food that is never eaten.
- If we planted trees on land currently used to grow unnecessary surplus and wasted food, this would offset a theoretical maximum of 100% of man-made greenhouse gas emissions.
- Every year, each American dumps about 1,200 pounds of organic garbage that can be composted.
Facts About Waste of Paper :
- The US uses 25% of the world’s paper products.
- Every day America cuts down two million trees-but throws away about 42 million newspapers. That means the equivalent of about 500,000 trees is dumped into landfills every week.
- Americans use 85000000 tons of paper a year; about 680 pounds per person.
- Everyday, American businesses consume enough paper to circle the Earth 20 times.
- The US population dispose of 16,000,000,000 diapers every year.
- Junk Mail : The junk mail Americans receive in one day could generate enough energy to heat 250,000 homes. Unwanted junk mail is mostly thrown away and even up to 44% is ditched without being opened; yet average American still spends 8 full months of his/her life opening them. It was said that 150,000 trees can be saved if 100,000 people stops their habits of sending junk mail.
- A 15-yar-old tree makes 700 paper grocery bags. One supermarket goes through 60,500,000 paper bags per year, this means one supermarket can cut down 86,428 trees to fulfill its annual need of paper bags only.
- The amount of wood and paper Americans throw away is enough to heat 50 million homes for 20 years
Facts About Waste of Beverage Containers.
- Lots of beverage containers are used in the U.S. A typical family consumes 182 gallons of soda, 104 gallons of milk, 29 gallons of juice, and 26 gallons of bottled water a year.
- Americans consume over 80,000,000,000 aluminum cans every year.
- Each year American throw away 25,000,000,000 Styrofoam cups, enough every year to circle the earth 436 times.
- Americans use 2,500,000 plastic bottles every hour, most of which are tossed away.
Facts About Waste from Vehicles :
- American discharge 220,000,000 car tires every year.
- More fuel is needed to move vehicles with under-inflated tires. It is estimated that Americans waste 2,000,000 gallons of fuel each year due to this.
- Every two weeks, Americans wear almost 50 million pounds of rubber off their tires. That’s enough to make 3 1/4 million new tires from scratch.
- About 200 million gallons of used motor oil is illegally dumped in the US each year. A single quart of motor oil, if disposed of improperly, can contaminate up to 2,000,000 gallons of fresh water.
The amount of trash in most countries has been incredibly increasing, while approximately only 10 percent of every landfill can be cleaned up. If you walk a mile along an average U.S. highway, you will mostly see about 1,547 pieces of litter. According to EPA, 84 percent of all household waste can be recycled or composted. Minimize your waste by reduce, reuse, recycle as much as you can to an eco friendly planet. Use as much possible reusable items instead disposal ones and compost your organic waste.
Learn also : - How long your garbage needs time to decompose.